Unreal Engine how can we achieve soft Skin Physics in Unreal Engine

mikeblack

Oct 10, 2017
It ain't that hard to get accurate location, i've done it before here, it's not exactly an elegant solution though but I imagine yuo must be doing something relatively similar. It's not without it's problems though, i think if I revisited this I would try to move the semen projectile from the niagara emitter to being just a normal physical mesh because the niagara collisions tend not to be very reliable, especially for gpu particles., i think for the regular collision approach on gpu particles thhey only collide if they are rendered, and they only render if they are not obscured by anything (such as the mesh or even another particle)

It is a problem I could solve with scratch, but I think just moving the projectile itself to a blueprint actor and forwarding it's collision & position data to the niagara emitter would be simpler at the end of the day.

It's also possible to use CPU particles for the projectile, but to forward data from CPU particles to GPU particles the only way i know is to send the data from the cpu particle to a blueprint actor and then send it back from the blueprint actor to the GPU particle emitter which is a mite convoluted.
Interesting so you spawn particles for all triangles and check how close they are to get the one with the correct triangle id. I'm trying to do the same just without the spawn a particle for every tirangle part. With a roundtrip to blueprint to figure out the triangle id of the hit there and pass it back to niagara.

Looks like it has potential. I use plugin to handle any kind of data retrieval when tracing against a skeletal mesh. Can get the hit UVs, triangle, vertex position etc. It's super handy.
Looks useful. Will try to get the triangle id of the hit with it.

Reactions: Velomous

Velomous

Jan 14, 2024
Interesting so you spawn particles for all triangles and check how close they are to get the one with the correct triangle id. I'm trying to do the same just without the spawn a particle for every tirangle part. With a roundtrip to blueprint to figure out the triangle id of the hit there and pass it back to niagara.
Yeah, like I said, not elegant. Do let me know if you figure it out!