Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
So, yeah, sorry for the (once again) delay. I'll come back to coding, because I really like doing it, because I'm bored as fuck when I don't do it, and because I feel like I'm betraying everyone, both here and at work. But right now my brain wouldn't follow, and apparently my body too.
So, it will need the time that I achieve to change my bad habits, find good ones, and also find a new pace of life. Something that isn't necessarily easy when your job imply to stay sit and you suffer from chronicle insomnia, but I'll succeed, so yeah, just a question of time.

TL;DR: It's never too late to have a more healthy life... I hope.
Wishing you all the best, and thanks for your personal update.

Quote " find a new pace of life" - that might be the hardest part?
But - It opens yourself up to new experiences, and new opportunities (that are very unexpected, at times) - as I had to do the same thing, a few years ago.

You are one of the best "teachers" - I have encountered on F95.
Do things at your own pace, this is just a website, real life should always come first.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
[sorry if my English is worse than usual]

Well, it's why I name the things, and give a bit of explanation regarding how I fixed the issue, when I face such circumstances. As you seen by yourself, there's no universal solution, so with a bit of search people found how I did it for my own issue, what give them a lead for their own one.

This being said, I'm sorry but I don't know when the next update will happen; to be totally exact, what I don't really know is when I'll be able to code again... And I guess that it need a bit of context, so:

Having the full August month as holiday, and knowing it since a long time, we achieved my children and myself, to pass two weeks together. Parents of adults know that it tend to be a luxury, so we jumped on the occasion.
Then mid August, back at home, no works in view, I started to works full time on my own projects when, well, frankly I'm not sure what happened. Saying that I felt like a car that ran out of fuel is probably the closest. So, direction my doctor and... Well, the good news is that I've no illness, but the bad news is that I'm not in good health either.
From what I understood, my body reacted like a weaned drug addict that would return to his demons where he left them. So, still as I understood it, I avoided a burnout because I took those two weeks doing nothing, what made my body fail prematurely :/

What lead to my current condition, I'm on meds for a undetermined period of times, and forbidden to code; well, strictly it's not what the doc said, but I need to think as less as possible, what mean the same. But anyway, the meds prevent me to think so...
And for once I'll listen attentively to my doc because, hmm, well, I guess he found the rights words for me, I quote: "Of course you live that way since forever, but you're not 20 anymore, you're 53. So, in your current condition, if you had to fight against a sparrow that suffer from anaemia, it's on him that I would bet."

So, yeah, sorry for the (once again) delay. I'll come back to coding, because I really like doing it, because I'm bored as fuck when I don't do it, and because I feel like I'm betraying everyone, both here and at work. But right now my brain wouldn't follow, and apparently my body too.
So, it will need the time that I achieve to change my bad habits, find good ones, and also find a new pace of life. Something that isn't necessarily easy when your job imply to stay sit and you suffer from chronicle insomnia, but I'll succeed, so yeah, just a question of time.

TL;DR: It's never too late to have a more healty life... I hope.
Glad you had some time with your kids, and I guess it's a good thing it ended up sparking a chance to monitor your health. You're the most helpful technical person on here, and I hope you can keep doing what you love for many years. You're right, it's never too late to turn your health around. Try some new food, take up yoga, maybe drink some nettle tea lol. I know how hard it can be to change habits to improve your health, but hopefully this wake-up call makes the process easier for you.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
NEVER, EVER apologize for that. It's THE most important thing,

"if you had to fight against a sparrow that suffer from anaemia, it's on him that I would bet."

I must say, your physician sure does have a way with words. But it does indicate the seriousness of the situation.

Take very good care of yourself.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017

"if you had to fight against a sparrow that suffer from anaemia, it's on him that I would bet."

I must say, your physician sure does have a way with words. But it does indicate the seriousness of the situation.

Take very good care of yourself.
You know, I didn't really stop to think about that line with how heavy the rest of the post was. That's a hell of a doctor lol.

Daiqvist

Jul 20, 2018
[sorry if my English is worse than usual]

Well, it's why I name the things, and give a bit of explanation regarding how I fixed the issue, when I face such circumstances. As you seen by yourself, there's no universal solution, so with a bit of search people found how I did it for my own issue, what give them a lead for their own one.

This being said, I'm sorry but I don't know when the next update will happen; to be totally exact, what I don't really know is when I'll be able to code again... And I guess that it need a bit of context, so:

Having the full August month as holiday, and knowing it since a long time, we achieved my children and myself, to pass two weeks together. Parents of adults know that it tend to be a luxury, so we jumped on the occasion.
Then mid August, back at home, no works in view, I started to works full time on my own projects when, well, frankly I'm not sure what happened. Saying that I felt like a car that ran out of fuel is probably the closest. So, direction my doctor and... Well, the good news is that I've no illness, but the bad news is that I'm not in good health either.
From what I understood, my body reacted like a weaned drug addict that would return to his demons where he left them. So, still as I understood it, I avoided a burnout because I took those two weeks doing nothing, what made my body fail prematurely :/

What lead to my current condition, I'm on meds for a undetermined period of times, and forbidden to code; well, strictly it's not what the doc said, but I need to think as less as possible, what mean the same. But anyway, the meds prevent me to think so...
And for once I'll listen attentively to my doc because, hmm, well, I guess he found the rights words for me, I quote: "Of course you live that way since forever, but you're not 20 anymore, you're 53. So, in your current condition, if you had to fight against a sparrow that suffer from anaemia, it's on him that I would bet."

You are indeed one of the best "teachers" here. I have understood a lot about renpy and I am now able to fix my own little things thanks to your explanations (I'm sorry I don't interact a lot here because I'm not confident enough with my english).

I really, really, hope you get at your best (even if you don't write code here anymore) because health is the first thing to achieve everything else.
All the best and.. hope to see your posts again!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
One don't prevent the second.
I'm from the generation stuck between the "men are strong indestructible entities that should never fail others" era and the "men are human beings like any others" one. What mean that I know that caring about myself is important and, despite what it looks like, between my mental health issues and the death of my wife, I did it not so badly. But in the same time there's still that little voice in my head saying that I'm a guy and therefore must not fail others, whatever it cost.

A balance hard to find and that I clearly have to redefine.

I'm pretty sure that he practiced it many time and that, once at home, he proudly said to his wife that he finally achieved to place it.
What I mean is that he's my doctor since a bit more than 20 years, and I'm a jerk as patient. He show me age and said more than once that I should do more of this and be less like that, what I answered to with "yeah" but never really cared to do. Finally, what he predicted happened, and he hit the nail with a perfect punchline to be sure that this time I listen more attentively ; what worked.

But, while the situation is effectively serious, as I said I'm not ill or whatever, just in a too bad shape, both physically and mentally. So, it's not something that can't be changed, and not only it's my intent to change it, but I already started to do it.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
In the meantime, I'm trying to figure what I did wrong, because even though I don't get an exception anymore in Sunshine Love. The ipatches also don't do what they're supposed to do.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Twistty

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In the meantime, I'm trying to figure what I did wrong, because even though I don't get an exception anymore in Sunshine Love. The ipatches also don't do what they're supposed to do.
Meds don't permit you to really help on this, but I can still give some advice:

1. Is the sequence correct ?
    Things must happen in a given order to works.
    The class have to be defined by the game in order to be tweaked or overwrote, and the tweak/override must happen before the very first use of the said class.
  2. Is the modification the right answer for each issue ?
    There's nothing universal, alas. Therefore, a fix that works for one doesn't necessarily works for another.
  3. Is the code for each entities correct for this use ?
    By example, before I was betrayed by myself, I found that my hook code, or more precisely the code I hook with it, have a design flaw since years.
    Callbacks don't necessarily change the date used as parameters (It's the case for the label tracing), they also don't necessarily return something, and what they return isn't necessarily what you have to pass as parameter to the next entry in the hook.
    In years of use the current designed was working fine, except with one recent game. So, the problem you face don't necessarily come from the problem you fixed, but from a code that you expect as being correct; that can be my code, the code from the game, or the one from any other mod involved.

And also, don't hesitate to rely on a approach.

As stupid as it can looks at first, explaining to someone (human or not, alive or not) what you try to do really works. I don't count the number of time I annoyed my wife telling her what I was trying to do, just to stop mid way with a, "yeah, no, I'm just an idiot", because doing it I found where was the code/design flaw. Same with my cat after her death, and with a stuffed toy now that he goes to live with her.
The way our brain works when we just think about something isn't the same than when we explain it out loud. When it's just in our head, our thoughts are like, "I'll do it that way", but unlike when we try to explain to someone, "that way" is never really addressed. It's an intuition more than a knowledge, so we don't perceive the flaw that hide in it.

Plus, like we try to explain the problem to someone that don't know, nor really understand, what we talk about, we need to goes more in the details, to really explain step by step, what force us to focus on each one of those steps. Reason why even at works people use something like a rubber duck, and not talk to a co-worker during a break.
To a co-worker, you would say something like "I hook my code between this and that". To a rubber duck you need to explain what your code do, what "hook" mean, what your code expect as entry, what he get as entry, what he return and what the next code expect as entry. And like the issue is generally somewhere on one of those points, you find it.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
What mean that I know that caring about myself is important and, despite what it looks like, between my mental health issues and the death of my wife, I did it not so badly.
Oh shoot! This comes a bit too close to home. And I now know the place you're in coz I lost mine too very unexpected, been together for almost 40 years (I'm 67 myself) and even though it's now almost 5 years, I'm still trying to get out of that hole...

And as for the other bit. I gave up, it's a mine field trying to get it to work with my own mods and things like UCD/URM. All of which use label_overrides.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes